Enjoying writerly distractions

I’ve just done the classic writer’s distraction technique number 12.

I walked down to the local shops to get some new B vitamins. I went to Wilko’s since the vitamins there are cheap but seem effective.

I paused at the stationary section. I often do. The sight of all those post it notes, new pencils, notebooks and colored crayons always makes me salivate. I often ignore this craving, since my money situation is rather dire. Today though, I felt like a treat, so I bought myself a very cheap fountain pen.

I have just wasted a wonderful half hour fitting the cartridge and writing various random words on scraps of paper. Great fun.


Now I must get on with my work. It’s not that I don’t enjoy it; in fact I’m finding the later stages of my adventure story challenging yet very satisfying. It’s just that I, like many writers, am prone to distraction. . . like writing a blog for instance. 

Comments

Popular Posts