Floods, Grief and Arguments.

How time flies when you're having a miserable time.

The last post talked about my dear cat Dolly.

Well, Dolly and I lived in the shared house, trying not to annoy the lease holder, until I woke up one morning to find the house flooded. I had to wade through filthy water to get to the kitchen. I couldn't understand what was going on. Why? Wha...? Huh? said my brain.
I opened the back door to see the whole world under water. Bins floated off down the garden like ships heading into the mist. The main road was a river, surging past the front door.
A water main had burst sending a 30ft plume of water into the air. It took 8 hours to get it under control. It was even on the news.




Dolly became poorly not long after and was diagnosed with cancer. I was told she had a few months left and might enjoy the summer. Two weeks later, she had a stroke and had to be put to sleep. I held her in my arms and felt my world slip away with her, my heart breaking.



For a while, I was alone in a flood soaked house with no carpets and no washing machine and with a landlord who did nothing. I moved to another place, where I struggled to live without a furry being. At his place, things got worse! I was allergic to the pollution in the air (industrial smog) and my neighbours seemed to be practicing for the Jeremy Kyle show each night. They would start at about ten and go on into the early hours. I became ill with sleep deprivation.

I left that place and am now in a pretty bungalow, high up on a hill, with clean air. Interestingly, even though everything is still in boxes, I am writing again. My creative juices are flowing, and although I miss Dolly every day, I'm beginning to wonder which furry soul will be my next companion. Dog, cat, hamster, greater crested newt? Time will tell.

Comments

Popular Posts