Paramedics and Bubble Wrap


I was woken this morning by a paramedic in PPE blundering into my bedroom.

But, before I get into the story, I need to tell you three things:

1) Due to my heart failure, I have one of those pendants that you press if you're in trouble which links through to a company who call the paramedics if you don't respond. 

2) The day before, I'd had a delivery from Amazon. Just two tiny things but in a huge boxes, so my hallway (which is very small) was cluttered with loads of plastic wrapping and boxes big enough to house small ponies. 

I remember thinking, as I went to bed, it would be challenging for someone to get in if there was an emergency. I cleaned my teeth and promptly forgot about it.
I don't have a picture of the boxes as they've been taken away.

3) I'd had beans for supper and I'd been farting all night and the window was closed, so my bedroom smelt like a fart factory.

My emergency pendant machine thing woke me up at 6.30am by trilling like a little phone. So I crawled out of bed to take a look. There were quite a few buttons and I had no idea which one to press, so I pressed them all except the big red one. I knew not to press that because I didn't need any help other than to stop this machine keeping me awake.
Once the machine was suitably pacified, I went back to bed. 
I'd just dropped to sleep again when I heard someone trying to get into my flat, pushing their way through the cardboard box mountain and packaging.
My brain said things like what? and how? and other helpful things, while a kind voice said hello? are you okay? where are you?.
The bedroom door opened and a paramedic tripped through into my room, her feet tangled in plastic bubble wrap. She was standing there, masked and gloved, with her emergency defibrillator box, probably expecting me to be on the floor half conscious.

I was climbing out of bed with my hair sticking up, trying to work out what was happening. The poor woman. I’m glad she was wearing a mask because it shielded her from the fart miasma in my room.

It turned out my pendant had malfunctioned and had called the services while I was asleep. The company had tried to call me on my phone, but I’d switched it to silent at night.

Once she knew I was okay, she cancelled the emergency call and left me to it. (I just want to say a quick thank you to all these emergency workers. They have saved my life twice).

The company did a remote test on the pendant and said it was fine, however, until I know it’s truly fine, I must do three things:

I must keep my hallway clear
I must keep my phone on at night.
I must not eat baked beans for tea.



Comments

  1. 'Fart miasma' - good name for a band

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story! Glad it was a malfunction. I'm also glad the paramedics were able to get in and check on you; I know that provided you with peace of mind that they came even if you didn't actually need them. Sounds like you learned a few lessons that night! Ha!

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy, Yes, I'm glad the gizmo works; it makes me feel safer.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts