Nanowrimo poem 1 Samhain

 

I'm trying to write a snatch of poetry, a limerick or even a whole poem (unedited) each day for Nanowrimo. This is the first one.

As far as I know, Samhain is pronounced Sahween.

Samhain

Beyond my cottage window, the sun sets on Samhain,
Closing the veil again for another year.
I shiver and draw my shawl around my bony shoulders.
It’s been tough since the sickness came,
So many children and old folk gone.
So many.



The fire cracks and wood splinters,
Sending sparks bouncing on my rug.
I shrug and put them out with my boot.
Will I have enough wood to last? Or food?
A slice of pie would be nice,
But I haven’t any flour, or fat,
Or a pumpkin come to that.
My cauldron only holds potatoes
And the last of the pig.
Just be glad you’re still alive, Old Crone,
Just be glad you’re alive.

Comments

Popular Posts