Nanowrimo Poem 8 Fat Old Lady


 I see a Fat Old Lady

I roll out of bed and see a fat old lady. 

Chonky is the modern term. 

Mature and of a certain age. 

Not truly elderly, not enough to be cute yet.

Just round and roly-poly with podgy knees and dimpled skin. 

The face is not mine anymore.

Yet I see myself in her eyes. 

I remember how I was.


Every day, I want to start fresh.

Eat healthy food, not too strict.

Self-care. Self nurture. 

Yoga, gentle movement.

Lengthen and strengthen.

Challenge the last 30 years of chronic pain.

This dragon needs to be slain.

I eat oats and fruit and feel good.

It’s easy.

You just have to decide. 

Eat less food and move more.


The nights grow long.

I put a video of a crackling fire on YouTube,

And relax in my fairy lit room.

Comfy sofa, cushions and a heated blanket.

All I need is a ticking clock and a purring cat.

And a snack.

Just a little treat. 

I’ve been good most of the day. 

At least not too bad.

I’ll have some hot soya milk and 

Maybe one of those biscuits I was saving for Christmas.

Just one.

Well maybe two.

I close the lid on the box. 

Enough now.

There’s only one biscuit left.

May as well finish it off.

We all need a treat now and then.


I roll out of bed and see a fat old lady…

Comments

Popular Posts